Some of the links in this article are "affiliate links", a link with a special tracking code. This means if you click on an affiliate link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
The price of the item is the same whether it is an affiliate link or not. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will add value to our readers.
By using the affiliate links, you are helping support our Website, and we genuinely appreciate your support.
So, you have been trying to find out how to get your business noticed or your website to rank, and someone told you that you need SEO. But what the heck is SEO? What does SEO stand for and what does it do?
What Does SEO Stand For?
Simple Answer, Search Engine Optimization. But what is Search Engine Optimization? Why should you care, and how do you do it? Let’s find out.
As you may well know, a search engine attempts to index everything on the internet. When you go to a site like Google, Bing, or DuckDuckGo, and type in “What Does SEO Stand For,” you expect an answer to this seemingly simple question. That’s likely how you found this blog entry. So how did I get this blog so you could see it on Google? Well, I optimized it. Thus the words Search Engine Optimization.
What Get’s Optimized?.
When performing Search Engine Optimization, you could be trying to optimize several things. You could be trying to optimize just one webpage, like the one you are viewing. Or perhaps you are trying to optimize an entire website. That would be everything inside of the shell of https://jandadigital.com. Or maybe you are trying to optimize a video or podcast. There are several media forms that can be optimized, and how you do it can vary. I won’t be able to go over all the conditions in this blog, but be on the lookout for future blogs that will explain further.
What Does SEO Entail?
If you wish to have a successful SEO campaign, there are many things you must accomplish.
- Onpage SEO – Onpage SEO involves things that you can control. It is optimizing your actual page or site for search engines.
- Keyword Research – You need to understand what keywords people would look for to find you. For this, you will need to do keyword research. Here is an excellent guide to keyword research, along with ten free tools.
- Keyword Optimization – During this phase, you will implement the keywords you researched to your page or site. This phase is very delicate as you don’t want to over-optimize, but you also don’t want to underdo it. Over-optimization makes Google think you are trying to trick them, and they will penalize you for it. So watch out
- Images – Yes, don’t forget to put keywords in the pictures. But again, don’t overdo it. If you do, you will get a hefty penalty from Google.
- Relevant Links – Don’t be afraid to put relevant Links on your page. Just try not to link to a direct competitor.
- Schema Markups – This is a much more complex topic. If you are more interested, you can find an entire blog about it here. For now, know that it’s essential.
- Offpage SEO
- Link Building – Ever go to a blog, and find it links out to other sites or blogs? Wouldn’t it be nice if someone would link to your site? That’s what Link Building is all about. It is a complex discussion, but you must know about it to rank higher.
- Backlink Removing – There are such things as toxic backlinks. You don’t just want anyone to link to you, as some links make Google think you are trying to trick them. If such a site is linked to you, you may want to find a way to remove it, so you are not penalized.